Wednesday 10 October 2018

Gregorian Chant Vespers

I was originally going to write a post about what I'd been doing since the last entry about the Pontifical Ordinariate Mass in York (quite a lot!) but as that would have taken some time to compose, I thought it could wait for a bit longer and be incorporated into a general review of the year's activities.

I shall talk about Vespers instead! As many of you know, members and friends of the Rudgates meet regularly at the oldest church in York - St Mary, Bishophill Junior to chant (usually) Compline from the Divine Office, and, more recently, from the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I had been asked a few months ago, whether it was possible to chant Vespers more often, so we're going to introduce it on a trial basis for certain feasts and see how it goes. This of course will depend on the availability of the church building (we don't have exclusive access to it of course!) and singers. I may be capable of singing (and have done so) Hours of the Office by myself, but it's not really desirable. :-)

The first of these is at 7:30pm tomorrow evening, when Vespers for the Feast of the Motherhood of the BVM shall be sung, quite appropriate really, as it's St Mary's church. Do please come along if you're free!

No comments: