Monday 4 December 2017

Advent

One of my favourite services of the year is the Advent Procession with lovely music built around the great O Antiphons. I'd attended the one at York Minster for a number of years (& sung the 'O's occasionally when I sang with York Cantores.)  I'd also been involved with other choirs' performances in different parts of Yorkshire.

I'm delighted that now, thanks to our friends in the Manchester Ordinariate Mission, the Rudgates now take part in one. Based at St. Joseph's Church in Heywood (between Bury & Rochdale) it is a wonderful choral candlelit service, and, for me, a highlight of my singing year! The church doesn't just have a splendid acoustic, it is also huge - large enough for a service like the Advent Procession to take place, so I hope we can return there often!

Here's a highlight (There is no Rose) from Saturday's service to whet your appetite for next year's, which will be on 1st December 2018, hopefully still in Heywood, so put the date in your diaries/calendars now!





No comments: